Sunday, July 06, 2008

Updates and complications

This weekend was my first time to be working since "The Program" started and I wasn't entirely sure how it would go. I knew that to keep my goal for 10 weeks, I am going to have to try to do something on the days that I work.

So this past Friday (July 4):
We ran for 2 min, walked for 1 for 15 min and then went back to run for 1 walk for 2 for 15 min. Total of 30 min. And I'm proud to say that we did great. I felt very proud that we did it. We ran for a total of 15 min. I didn't feel too bad after... well I felt like I had actually ran a marathon instead of just 15 min and more than likely about 1 mile. but I did my stretches, and had some cautionary icing of the shins/knees. I was exhausted that day and managed to sleep for most of the day. Good thing because Friday night was the first night back to work. Felt good that night- no problems but I stayed busy and thus was up a lot. By the time I got home (late), I was EXHAUSTED.

moving on to Saturday (July 5):
upon arriving home, late I might add, Saturday morning I was tired and hurting. My knees were not happy but I thought I could still do 30 min of walking and then crash for the day. I made it 20 min and I was limping horribly. My knees were not good, esp. the right one. Was it the running 2 days in a row? Was it the fact that I wore old shoes to work on Friday night? Did I do too much on my tired body? because I was limping all night Saturday night. I was pretty miserable. My knee didn't hurt when sitting or when standing but it felt very tight when sitting/standing/walking. It wasn't sharp pain, just a very uncomfortable tightness surrounding the knee cap area. I spent a good deal of time with my leg proped up getting other people to do my work. Sunday was a scheduled "rest" day and I slept like a rock.

Monday morning will be Brian's first day to it alone. Even if I was going to be doing something, I don't get home in time for Brian to run with me and make it to work at a reasonable hour. He's going to be running for 2, walking for 1 for the whole 30 min. Total run time=20 min. Pro- he won't have to slow himself down or shorten his stride in order to keep up with me. Con- he will have to get up on his own and run and be motivated on his own.

I think I am going to have to make all of my post work mornings "rest" days. Maybe once I get into better shape my body can handle 12 hrs of work to be followed up by 30 min of exercise. But where I am right now, I think I pushed myself too far when my body was tired. I should have listened to my body instead of going ahead. I really want to do this and I didn't want to be making excuses already. If I'm able, I need to do it. I think I am also going to consult a professional. I don't know sports injuries or ortho... I knew going into this that my knees were less than perfect. I don't want to ignore this and end up really hurting myself.

Let me know if you know any good sports/knee docs in Nashville.

2 comments:

heyIMmike said...

I know your knee's pain. Blair and I went to the Y together for the first time recently, and all of the eliptical machines were full, so we both did the treat mill. Right at the end of our 30 mins, my knee decided to protest. I limped for a day or two and it still twinges, but I think I'm going to hit the eliptical here soon.

Anonymous said...

Hitting the pavement is the hardest on your knees. Good shoes are a must. A treadmill or the eliptical might be easier until your get in better shape. The best thing is swimming or water aerobics. Do you have access to a pool anywhere?
Make sure to do stretching before and after. What about just walking 2-3 miles first and not run. I know many people who are not able to run, but are in good shape.
Just don't hurt yourself. Mom