Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Faulty

Tuesday I went to see a sports doc about the knee. diagnosed with IT band syndrome and patella/femoral pain (or the cartlidge in between those 2). Was told to get better arch support (which I did) and to start PT.

1st Physical Therapy session was today (Wednesday July9). I was then told they didn't think it was actually my IT Band but that the tendons attaching my hamstring to the knee area were weak, and my core muscles were too weak. So when I do things like walk or run up a hill, sit or stand, etc those weak muscles aren't doing enough and my hamstring begins to try to compensate. or something. We started off with the IT Band stretches and I thought this PT stuff was cake. I was going to breeze right through it. Then great discussions were had about what was actually wrong with me. I had a PT guy, but was dealing mostly with his special little helper (called himself an intern?). Special little helper and PT guy then proceeded to poke and prod. Turns out my right knee was swollen behind the knee (in the bend of the knee), and said there was a possibility of some fancy named cyst. If there was that, it would absorb and they usually don't drain those. Fantastic.... They starting looking at the hamstring. They push on it- everything is fine and then I have to resist against them as they push against the hamstring. That one makes me come off the table. So all that was to tell them that my hamstring wasn't sprained or strained but basically not working right and that was putting a strain on my knees. Then Special Little Helper starts in on the exercise I'm to do at home- I need to strengthen the hamstring and my core muscles but not so much the abs but the gluts. My ass just isn't strong enough apparently. That's just super.

So now I have exercises to do 2x a day and attend PT 2x a week. and PT guy laid down the law- no running for a month. A Month!! So Anna's original goals are on hold until further notice and to be sub'ed in are my new temporary goals of "Knee will no longer hurt" or "Will develop hot ass from exercises".
Brian said in his last post that he never thought he would have to get in shape to lose weight. Well I never thought I would have to rehab so that I can get in shape enough to start loosing weight. I'll admit that I'm pretty disappointed today. I'd been feeling so good running last week. Tuesday morning (before the doc visit) I attempted to run/walk for 30 min. I didn't get much running in because of the knee. I knew I could do more- I wasn't too tired but I couldn't push past the knee thing. I actually felt good that I knew I could do more. I knew that if I wanted to do this that the knee would have to be addressed, I'm just disappointed today that all of my planning and goals are on hold for so long. Brian and I were starting this together- he's going to be so much farther along than I am when I get to start back with the running. He had to run alone this morning and it was really hard watching him go alone. I really wanted to be there working hard with him.


So on to more news- I think that it must just be one of those days. It's even raining out right now. Last night we got the call that my Aunt Betty is in her final days. Mom wasn't sure she would make it through the night. She did but we are still "on alert". We are also on Baby Alert. Beth will be popping out #3 any minute which means any minute or next week.
We also got news from Brian's parents that the beloved Chablis passed away last night. She was more than just the family dog but a family member. We are all torn up over this, esp Brian. I haven't talked to Brian's parents but I know they are very torn up right now as well. With an empty nest, Chablis was their pride and joy.
And just to top it off- I got a call from work this morning that my sweet princess that I have been with for months has taken yet another turn for the worse. Each time I'm not sure she's going to make it and then she pulls through. How much can one child go through? I don't like seeing her suffer, but when she's doing well- then she looks amazing and will interact with you like a normal baby would... I work tomorrow night and I hope she's there when I get there.

No comments: